SEO or search engine optimization is the process of increasing the amount of traffic your website gets from search engine results. Many people don’t really understand what it is, but understanding search engine optimization is crucial to improving the standing of your website on the internet.
Why does SEO matter for me?
The world is now online. All customers browse the web with the intent to buy some product or service. The first step they do is type their query into a search engine. Search engines receive millions of queries every day, this is a market you need to tap into.
SEO is important because
- Customers trust search engines, so when your website is listed on the top positions for the keywords that the customer typed, they tend to trust your website.
- Most users of search engines are most likely to click one of the first five websites on the results page. Thus to take advantage of the large amounts traffic of search engines, you need to be in one of the top five spots.
- While SEO improves your ranking in search engines, it has other benefits too. It will help improve the usability and experience of your website as a whole for your customers.
- It can help you with social media promotion. People who find websites on search engines are more likely to share it with their friends on social media.
- It is important to fight the competition. With the online world opening competition globally, you need to keep ahead of companies that provide the same product as you. Having a better search engine ranking will mean more customers will come to your website.
- For example, if you are a small business, seo services for your small business will increase your rankings in Google Maps and overall Google first page results.
What matters in SEO
SEO might seem complex, but it is trying to achieve only a few goals.
- Improved quality traffic: While raw traffic might seem great, but in reality it is useless. You need traffic that is interested in your brand and your products. Having many customers who want phones visit your fashion website is just useless for you.
- Improving the quantity of traffic: Once you start getting quality traffic, you need to focus on increasing the numbers. More traffic means more leads, thus more revenue for you.
- Increased organic results: Paid ads are the ones that cover the prime areas in search engines. Organic traffic is the traffic that comes without you having to pay for it.
What are the various practices in SEO
There two different practices in SEO, blackhat, and whitehat. Blackhat is techniques that help you improve your search engine rankings in the short term by optimizing your content only for the search engines. This technique completely ignores optimizing for humans. This includes using repeated keywords and transparent texts. While this will lead to your site climb the search engine ladder, this is not a long term strategy. The website will likely get banned and even if traffic visits your site it won’t convert into leads. This spammy kind of page would mean you will lose your customers trust, meaning you can’t build a sustainable online model.
The other practice is whitehat. This is a long process. You will focus on people and providing quality service to them. This is a sustainable model in the long run as people will start trusting you. While you cannot see results in a few days, over a few years the growth will be much bigger than what you can expect from blackhat practices.